Products You May Like
The Over and Back Podcast celebrates the 60-year anniversary of Wilt Chamberlain’s 100-point game with author Gary Pomerantz.
60 years today in Hersey, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Warriors center Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points against the lowly New York Knicks.
In the 60 years since, Wilt’s 100-point game has been shrouded in equal parts mystery and intrigue leading some to even question if it actually happened.
To celebrate this one-of-a-kind anniversary, Jason and Rich are joined by Gary Pomerantz—author of Wilt, 1962: The Night of 100 Points and the Dawn of a New Era—to discuss Chamberlain’s record-breaking night.
We’ll dive into several topics about this once-in-a-lifetime game that saw Chamberlain shoot 63 shots, 32 free-throw, grab 25 rebounds and, of course, set an NBA record with 100 points.
Topics discussed on the show include:
- The added mythology of the game not being televised
- What happened to the game ball
- How Wilt and his teammates celebrated the accomplishment
- Wilt’s larger than life personality and play
- What surprises newer fans when they first find out about this game
- Chamberlain’s influence on today’s game
- The realistic possibility of a 100 point game ever happening again
- Where Wilt’s 100 ranks in terms of unbreakable sports records
- And so much more!
Want to learn more about Wilt Chamberlain? Listen to our additional shows covering his career!
Mind-blowing Wilt Chamberlain statistics: https://omny.fm/shows/over-and-back-stories-about-nba-history/mind-blowing-wilt-chamberlain-statistics
Could Wilt have saved the ABA? https://omny.fm/shows/over-and-back-stories-about-nba-history/could-wilt-have-saved-the-aba-could-anyone-basketb
50-point games in the Wilt era: https://omny.fm/shows/over-and-back-stories-about-nba-history/50-point-games-in-the-wilt-era
Subscribe to our NBA history podcast for the 2021-22 NBA season
Thanks for listening, downloading, subscribing and supporting!